Monday, February 05, 2007

gabba gabba rice pudding

I quartered the recipe, and instead of vanilla soy milk, I just added more vanilla to the recipe. Oh, and I used jasmine rice.
I wasn't sure how long it was supposed to be boiling for, so I just stirred it for a few minutes while it was boiling, and then let it sit covered for 20 minutes away from heat.
In terms of the variations, I added some crushed pineapple, just because I happened to have half a can of crushed pineapple in the fridge.
The verdict? Well, I haven't had rice pudding in forever, and I don't remember being a fan, but this was pretty tasty. I had it while it was still a little warm. Tomorrow I'll bring some to work and see what it's like when it's cooled down a little.
I wonder what making it with coconut milk would be like? Probably very tasty!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At February 05, 2007 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job!
That looks so good and creamy!
Rice pudding is such a simple, inexpensive dessert yet not many poeple like it that much. It's so comforting and warm on a cold and snowy day like today.
p.s.I ran outta soy milk and wasn't able to make the pudding last night as I had hoped so I'll get around to it later this week when I do a grocery run.
Thanks for indulging my request :)

 
At February 05, 2007 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coconut milk sounds like a brilliant variation. I plan on looking through my cookbooks to see if I have an alternate recipe, since in my mind it isn't rice pudding if you don't bake it. :)

 
At February 06, 2007 9:31 AM, Blogger Linda said...

oo yum -- very creative! that looks so creamy. rice pudding is the best!

 
At February 06, 2007 12:46 PM, Blogger mishka said...

looks like it turned out really well, stagflation! I think I'll be testing out the choco version :)

 
At February 06, 2007 1:10 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

One thing I think was missing from the recipe was cinnamon.

 
At February 07, 2007 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi folks!
I had a terrible mishap with my rice pudding. Oh dear me!

I decided to cook it in the slow cooker and didn't adjust/increase the liquid so the rice ended up absorbing all the existing liquid and kept right on cooking.

Ultimately, it became this solid mass of congealed sticky mush studded with dried cherries. Yuck.

Anyway, I tried a few forkfuls of the rubberized pudding and although it tasted okay it wasn't by any means delicious. So off it went into the compost bin.

I'm going to try it again over the weekend but this time in a standard cooking vessle.

 
At February 08, 2007 8:06 AM, Blogger vania said...

I love all our own variations of rice pudding. I add coconut shavings in mine, and it has to have cinnamon. i ran out of raisins this week, so i'll have to buy some today and then make it tonight.

Nice choice of bowls, stagflation.

 
At February 08, 2007 9:49 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

Sadly, it's my only bowl.
(I do have an oversized latte-mug, I guess)

 
At February 09, 2007 2:10 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

it's friday, who has a recipe?

 
At February 09, 2007 6:28 PM, Blogger Carla said...

It's so mushy! I don't think I'll make it, though I do love warm mushy food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home