Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"butter" "chicken"

Hi guys! I've been reading all your posts since you started, but I haven't had the time to join in until now. I was really excited to make this since Shawn and I love Indian food and are still on the hunt for good recipes. Plus, as with my knitting, I love having the pictures to look back on what I did. Gathering all the ingredients up beforehand was a new experience for me. I usually start the rice, then start the "meat" browning, then pull out and chop up anything I'm going to add. But I always love the ingredients shot, so here it is. (Forgive me for the honey peanut butter.)

Onions softening:

Shawn demonstrating our high tech spice grinder:

We were at his house and I haven't brought my mortar and pestle over yet, so blunt end of can opener it was.

With the garlic and ginger:

I doubled the garlic because I always double the garlic. Just like I always double the vanilla.

With the rest of the spices:

Turns out we didn't have enough paprika. Oops.

With the seitan, tomatoes, and sour supreme:

Shawn said, "Don't add sour cream, you'll ruin it." (Only he says ruin like "run.") I looked in the fridge, but we didn't have any yogurt to substitute. Plus, I LOVE sour supreme, so I added it anyway.

The finished plate, with basmati rice and naan with cumin:


The verdict: I'm going to put cumin on my naan forever now. The dish, we liked, but we didn't love it. We do a lot of Thai peanut sauces and even after adding some extra red pepper to his, Shawn thought it was pretty bland. He also was disappointed in the seitan to tomato ratio - that there were way too many tomatoes. I actually didn't have mine last night, (I had already eaten) so I had mine for lunch today. It was definitely better the next day and with lots of salt and pepper. I had a lot of fun making it, it was definitely a delicious lunch today, and we have one more serving left over that I'll probably have for lunch Thursday, but it's unlikely we'll be making this one again.

3 Comments:

At January 24, 2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Yay, Ellie, my VeganPal! Welcome, and nice post! Why do so many things take better the next day?

 
At January 24, 2007 11:28 AM, Blogger mishka said...

I'm so happy to see you here, Ellie! Sorry the recipe didn't work out well for you - would adding more spices and more seitan make it tastier to you or Shawn? I plan to make it again, but next time with better seitan (or tempeh, or tofu), cumin and hot spices. I think I may have ruined (or "runned* *wink*) my tastebuds with spicy food, because I find myself having to add more and more...!

 
At January 24, 2007 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks guys! It really wasn't a bad recipe, I think it just wasn't our style. We liked it, just not better than other things we make. I do love seitan though - I think I used White Wave maybe? I was raised in the Northeast, so I can't take too much spice. Shawn always has to add more to his after I'm done cooking ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home