Tuesday, July 25, 2006

cold loaf

I made my loaf Sunday afternoon but plans changed and I ended up not eating it Sunday. I've been eating it cold since then (lunch yesterday, breakfast today) and it is wonderful!

My loaf ingredients (off the top of my head) were: great northern beans, quinoa, onion, garlic (one clove? is she kidding?), carrots, nutritional yeast, veg Worcestershire sauce, some herbs (thyme and basil, I think), and pine nuts. I'm probably forgetting something, but that's the gist of it. I did try a bit of it out of the oven, just a sliver, and it was pretty good, and it's been really good cold, too. I tried it on a sandwich yesterday and the bread overwhelmed it, but it was great when I took it off bread to eat separately.

The taste vaguely reminds me of Thanksgiving, and I was thinking it might make a good main dish for a holiday meal, especially using "stuffing seasonings" like celery and onions and poultry seasoning. Even with the beans, grains and nuts it wasn't terribly heavy and could go with a large meal. And I like Carla's idea of individual molds, that would be awesome.

The veggies cooking:

the veggies

The other ingredients:

the other ingredients

The uncooked loaf:

uncooked loaf

The finished loaf:

the finished loaf

7 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Nice! So moist! How have you been eating it?

 
At July 25, 2006 4:10 PM, Blogger mishka said...

looks fabulous. Now that you mention Thanksgiving, I'm thinking that I'm going to start making loaves to bring to family get-togethers instead of Tofurkey. More people would be apt to try it, too! Since I have started boycotting Thanksgiving, I guess I'll be eating the loaf all by myself. *piggy*

 
At July 25, 2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I was thinking of it as Tofurkey-ish too! Mine was based with tofu and I thought it would be good with cranberry sauce.

 
At July 25, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Funny, I tried to take the idea of "thanksgiving loaf" out of my mind when i made and ate this, but that's because the thanksgiving loafs i've had have usually been less than stellar. I'd LOVE to make one for thanksgiving! In fact, you don't even want to know how many loafs I've made this week!

 
At July 25, 2006 7:15 PM, Blogger vania said...

i too eat vegan loaves for the big family dinners - tofurkey is one thing but come on, who can resist this!?

 
At July 25, 2006 7:58 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

Carla -- I've been eating it plain. Well, after I took it off the bread yesterday I ate it plain. Just cold, right from the fridge. It's very moist, so no sauce has been needed, but of course it would be "dressier" if it had a sauce or gravy to go with it.

Re: Tofurkey -- I've never had that, so that's not the association I have with it. I'd pretty much just given up on the "main dish" for Thanksgiving because (so far) nothing really fits all that well, and there's always plenty of other food anyway. But a nice modest slice of this, or a small molded loaf, would fit in pretty well.

 
At July 25, 2006 9:44 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

hmm, i'm definitely a loaf convert, but i should mention, just in case it's not already known, that the "now and zen" "turkey" beats the tofurkey "turkey", hands down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home