Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yummy in my Tummy


Well, after a few days of uninspiring dinners, J and i trucked down to Kensington and bought the needed groceries for this week's challenge. While there, we picked up other goodies like fresh fiddleheads, good bread, vintage tops, gifts for friends, and raspberries. But, i digress.

This was a team effort by the two of us - which doesn't happen often. One thing i learned while mashing up all the broccoli, is that i need a much bigger food processor (good thing i asked for one on my wish list!), but otherwise this recipe really worked for us. Of course, we tweaked it a bit. Like, instead of the just almonds, we used cashews and almonds. And, like Mishka, we only have red miso here, but i love miso and was happy to put it in my pesto!

I liked the pesto so much that i can't wait to play with my leftovers - this recipe does call for way too much sauce for 2 people. But, tomorrow we're having pesto pizzas and i'm having pesto sandwiches for lunch. The other thing is, and this is probably just how it turned out for me, but i liked the sauce way better on it's own than with the rotini noodles we paired it with - took away the zappy flavour.

All in all, a good meal - see we vegans can have tasty food!

8 Comments:

At June 21, 2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ok, don't know how accurate the pictures are vs. each others, but yours looks the creamiest, I think! That's a good thing by me (sorta obsessed with creamy things -- I'd take creamy over sugary any day). Do you think it's the cashews? So nice that you guys made it together.

I think we're all experiencing having a lot of it left over. Also, I made the mistake of putting the rest all in the kamut spirals (the second set of noodles for the pesto!) and AA said he'd eat more pesto but that he "doesn't want any more pasta." She's a carb carb carb carb carb machine. Watch her get down...

Hooray -- cooking with you guys is very fun!

 
At June 21, 2006 11:09 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh, forgot to add how much i _love_ fiddleheads! we were looking at ferns today and dreaming about fiddleheads! when we lived in vermont, i lived for those moments when friends would serve them to us, foraged from some secret place.

 
At June 22, 2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Good stuff Vania! Great improvisations.

I added some to vegan mayo and made salad dressing with it, and also stirred it into rice noodles, zucchini and fennel.

 
At June 22, 2006 1:54 PM, Blogger mishka said...

silly me left the bowl of leftover pesto in my backpack overnight instead of putting in the fridge, so the last of the pesto went bad and stunk up the backpack. And the smell got into the plastic lid of my glass bowl. Ewww. The lid is currently sitting on the counter at home, covered in baking soda.

Vania - I like the idea of cashews and almonds in this. I thought I liked pine nuts, but now I'm thinking that too many leaves a funny aftertaste.

So, tomorrow is the next recipe deadline? Shall michelleknits have the torch?

 
At June 22, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

cool with me...did you guys have a preference between those two dishes? or should i think of something else?

or is there someone else dying to pick?

gosh mishka, i know EXACTLY what that smells like. i'm never really able to get the smell off the plastic... i hope you have better luck!

just finished the pesto and kamut spirals today for lunch.

 
At June 22, 2006 6:11 PM, Blogger vania said...

hey gang. i'm looking forward to my pesto pizza tonight and hearing about the next recipe!

 
At June 22, 2006 7:38 PM, Blogger mishka said...

michelle - I say you just tell us what to make next! You tell us, we make it!

 
At June 22, 2006 9:48 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

i'll be a posting tomorrow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home