Sunday, June 18, 2006

And my lady, she went downtown... (Broccoli Pesto)

She bought some broccoli
She brought it home.
She was chopping broccoli
Chopping broccoli...

So I'm first at the first vegancookalong dish: Broccoli Pesto! I love pesto, and I rarely make it with just basil, so a new pesto is a cool thing with me. And leave it to me to not follow the recipe much. I waited till 3:30pm to think of making lunch, and by then, I was hungry, and I had a head of broccoli in the fridge and not much else. So I had at it, and began chopping...


Here it is in the steamer basket/pot we have. Do any of you fancy ladies have the bamboo steamer type?

It said to add 1/2 to 2 garlic cloves "depending on how garlicky you like your food." So I added 4, and I'm paying for it now. Well, not me so much, but the world around me!

Just finished our bottle of olive oil, but I had a small bottle of garlic olive oil (2tbsp worth), then added 1 tbsp of safflower.

Calls for pinenuts or almonds. I love pinenuts, but I didn't have them around nor almonds nor pistachios (another choice I've used before). I did, however, have walnuts


You must see where this is going, right? Of course I didn't have basil, but I did have parsley (something I often add to pesto in addition to basil to make it greener) so I used that. I was prepared to use kale, too, but I had just enough parsley.

Nope. Out of nutritional yeast. What kind of vegan has no nutritional yeast? Me.

The amount of chickpea miso I had was half of what was called for, so I added a generous amount of nama shoyu and celtic sea salt to the mixture before I processed it.

After the first process, it wasn't sticking together enough, so I added one more tbsp of safflower and one tbsp of roasted chili oil (also from one of my little bottles -- we take these camping!) And more nama shoyu and more salt...

And here it is, made with love!

And what goes best with pesto? Why, did you say wild yam soba? What a coincidence -- that's what I had!

mixing it up

It was good!

I can't wait to hear and see and imagine tasting what you guys come up with! And I'll (try to) follow the recipe next time...

Love,
Michelle C.

4 Comments:

At June 19, 2006 8:16 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Awesome post, Michelle C! I was too hot all weekend to think about steaming the brocoli. It was in the early 30s here (about 90 in fahrenheit) and gah-ross. It's rainy today so I might be ready for some warm comforting pesto tonight. Good going, laydee!

 
At June 19, 2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks! Yeah, it was the same weather here. But I was too starving to go out to get something else besides the broccoli, so that's how it worked for me!

 
At June 19, 2006 9:19 AM, Blogger mishka said...

I love the little heart in the pesto, Michelle! And, as a fellow garlic lover, think you were smart to add 4 cloves. Although, I'm wondering if the garlic will have permeated the rest(o) of the pesto overnight. I brought it for lunch, so I'll find out later on.

Mine was definitely more clumpy. I think I may have erred on the side of caution with the oil and added a wee bit less. I also didn't process it lots. I've only made pesto once before, so I wasn't sure how much to blend it.

Yam soba?? Never had it. Is it good? Is it sweet?

 
At June 19, 2006 9:37 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yay! I wish I remembered to put the heart in everything, but I think the way it just occurs to me sometimes makes it special. Hmm, I didn't even think about the garlic permeation factor. If so, you're in luck and I'm in tru-ble!

The yam soba has buckwheat in it, so I feel like I taste the buckwheat more than yam. But it's supposed to add a little more health value, etc. It's the noodle we have around the most. I was bummed that I didn't remember to get conchiglie pasta for it, but AA insisted that it was better this way. So sweet.

I can't wait for Carla's and Vania's and everyone else's! It was even exciting for me to see the electric steamer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home