Friday, August 04, 2006

Week 8 Cook-a-Long - Coleslaw!

This is a delicious recipe from those Company's Coming cookbooks by Jean Pare. I've veganised it slightly so the recipe does not appear exactly like this in her cookbook, but this is how it appears in my recipe files. You can also use toasted sliced almonds instead of (or in addition to) the toasted sesame seeds.

Coleslaw

4 cups shredded cabbage
1 or 2 carrots, grated
4 to 6 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons or so of toasted sesame seeds
1 or 2 packages of veggie ramen noodles, crumbled

Dressing:

1 package of seasoning from the ramen noodles (note - only use one! if you use two, the salad will be too salty)
1/2 cup salad oil
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Salad: Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
[My mum also sprinkles the whole thing with parsley]

Dressing: Mix all ingredients together, pour over salad and toss.

2 Comments:

At August 05, 2006 9:32 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

I'm having trouble locating vegan ramen noodles, I've tried the three stores here most likely to have it (the "regular" grocery store, my whole foods coop, and the Asian foods store) with no luck. Possibly the Asian foods store does have it, but neither the Chinese clerk nor I could read most of the ramen packages there, since they were in Japanese (he clearly thought I was insane). The closest one had gelatin in it. So, I'm going to try another Asian-themed coleslaw instead, probably this one at Dr. Weil's site: http://www.drweil.com/u/Recipe/Recipe10041/ (but with just green cabbage, cause that's what I've got on hand).

 
At August 05, 2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Kat said...

No vegan ramen noodles? Oh no, that's tragic! you might be able to get away with substituting soba noodles, though - and instead of the flavour packet you would had received with the ramen, you could try a half teaspoon or so of vegetable soup boullion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home